Tuesday 1 January 2013

And so it begins


“So you're getting the kids tonight?"

"Yes Dear"

"And tomorrow night you're away"

"a-ha"

"And don't forget to call you mother"

"I got it Honey ok, I'll see you tonight, have a good day, I Love you"

"Love you too"

And so Faith’s day began. It was always the same conversation as one of them walked out of the door, or did it just seem that way? The obligatory ‘I Love you’ added on to the end. They still meant it, but it was never really said with meaning any more, they didn’t have time.

Faith remembered when they used to lie in her bed, back at her mother’s house, talking until the wee hours of the morning. She had no idea now what they talked about; there was no way they could sustain a conversation for that long any more. Maybe they had said everything there was to say, all she knew was those days were long gone. Comfortable existence as a well oiled machine was all that remained, repeating the same motions infinitum.

“Ok boys; shoes, coats, Mum can’t be late today!” Faith snapped out of her reminiscence, she had bigger fish to fry today.

The morning manoeuvres completed, Faith headed off to work. New work, this was her first day as Event’s Coordinator for the Holly House Estate. She had been sensible, driven the route yesterday so was clear on the half hour journey and the route she should take.

‘I hope I can do this’ Faith thought, ‘why do I always feel like I am punching above my weight?!’

A familiar voice started to resonate around her head, ‘honey I am your best friend, but seriously enough with the self doubt, even I am getting a little bored!’

‘Hearing voices now and conversing with myself, time to put some music on I think’

Faith couldn’t drive without some kind of music on in the background, so that kind of counted radio stations out; there was always too much chatting. Faith fished around for a CD in the door pocket and rammed it into the CD player. It was the only real upgrade she had made to the vintage Beetle, a decent sound system. It jumped straight to The White Stripes – Seven Nation Army, spot on! A mix CD designed to give her a kick in the ass when she needed one, plucked at random when she needed it; serendipity at work, it made Faith smile.
 

Faith pulled into the drive of the stately home, “Well you’re going to be here more than you are at home, you’d better hope you like it” she said to herself. The cherry blossoms trees lining the driveway took her breath away and then the beauty of the house loomed into view and Faith had to pinch herself. This kind of thing happened to other people, she didn’t get chances like this!! And that feeling was perpetuated when her little purple metallic VW Beetle crunched onto the gravel of the staff car park. Sandwiched between a shiny Range Rover and a filthy Land Rover, her head on the wheel, “What the hell do I think I am doing?”


“Oh bollocks” Faith exclaimed dropping her keys into the gravel as she got out of the car, “well at least I wore flats.” Bending down to pick them up she chanted, “Deep breaths, deep breaths, deep breaths”

“Do you often talk to yourself?”

Faith stood up so fast she lost her balance and fell into the car, ‘thank God something could be trusted to catch her.’ The look of total shock on her face was probably enough to make a really great impression, if not that her bright red face!

“Hi I’m Dan” he said holding out his hand in greeting.

“Um, hi” Faith managed mid recovery.

“I’m guessing you’re Faith?”

“Sorry, yeah, Faith” she said taking his hand that had been hanging there a little longer than was polite; it was soft and warm yet obviously used to hard work, it was a nice hand with a middle of the road grip. “I was just psyching myself up for the introductions and such.”

“We’re really not that bad you know” Dan replied starting to guide Faith across the car park to the staff and office entrance. “Well good luck Faith, no doubt I’ll see you around” with that Dan started off towards the grounds.

“Probably, I don’t know and thanks.” She really was usually more eloquent than this; “Sorry” Faith shouted after him, “What did you say your name was?”

“Dan” he shouted back.

No comments:

Post a Comment